Saturday 9 October 2010

'Even if you can bend forward and place your hands flat on the floor, you are not guaranteed happiness'

and it goes on to say - yoga teaches us to find the happiness within, allows us to slow down long enough to recognize and realize it.

the last couple of days have been a tumble and whirl of yoga, work, play and as always - discovery.

but today - Friday - early morning class - a strangely humid early morning complimenting the late London Indian summer! I dragged myself to class amongst the conflicting tiredness, knowledge that I would be energized and the guilt that I knew would plague me if I didn't go - the day was so tightly planned that I couldn't fit another class in.

the intention was to: have no judgement.
and perhaps because I was so spaced out, or tired or maybe lost in another place - it happened that way. The class passed in a sweaty fog and it was about 2 hours later, powered with a trusty latte and racing around that my body suddenly relaxed and the energy poured through. In that moment - i was suddenly still enough to realize and recognize the simple and unusual pleasure of the moment itself and the awareness.

and a thought that has been percolating has bubbled up again. self-practice - a flow that might introduce a different aspect to Bikram. I have shied away from it in recent times on a regular basis because there is no studio close to me. But to find the time? Maybe to alternate? Maybe do mindbodyonline? And is this my mind hopping around and avoiding the 'stuff' that my challenge and reflections are stimulating.

i have to think on it. one of my dreams is to perhaps do a yoga teacher training and be taught or self-teach some of the founding theory and principles that support yoga. another thing for the 'to do list'.

but yet I am left with a lingering question - should I be appreciating this moment and consider tomorrow and future dreams at another time? By looking to something else, and thinking through introducing a varied practice, have I devalued what is happening today and at this time?

a new notebook perhaps? Stationery is another controlled addiction - notebooks, cards, cute paper :)

2 comments:

  1. "--- but yet I am left with a lingering question - should I be appreciating this moment and consider tomorrow and future dreams at another time? By looking to something else, and thinking through introducing a varied practice, have I devalued what is happening today and at this time?---"

    Living in the MOMENT is BOTH --- for the kernel of the MOMENT contains in itself BOTH parts ---> appreciating (love that word) the 'present' which in reality is already set in your memory, AND at the same time the imagining ('dreaming')your karma to begin the next micro step of 'designing' ones own destiny <--- it begins to be conceived with those very 'future dreams' thoughts.

    Enjoy the moment AND ALSO know that visualizing ('future dreams') the next steps ---> is your own carving/painting of the next steps of your own destiny.

    Its not one or the other --- its BOTH.

    BTW --- The OUTCOME of all actions (incl. dreaming your own destiny) is always due to GRACE --- in reality we control no outcome.

    However GRACE is attracted to us & our environment (to greater or lesser degrees) by own thoughts & dreams.

    A trivial example --- a cheerful positive attitude most often attracts those of similar heart --- or at least empowers them to act so.

    SCC2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important to remember:

    -- You don't find yoga, yoga finds you --

    Instead of planning, maybe it's better to keep the possibilities - be they yoga or other - open. As in our asanas we aim to keep the heart open, so too this should transcend into other parts of our life.

    Dreams of the future, which are too specific, restricted by timelines, and based on wants instead of needs, promote expectations, judgement and possible disappointment. I always found truth in the saying that 'it happens when you aren't looking for it'.

    ~ N

    ReplyDelete